Canadian National Railway Assistant Trainmaster (Train Operations Supervisor) Job Description
The Assistant Trainmaster (Train Operations Supervisor) is a front line management position and is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the territory/terminal and train crews to meet CN’s service commitments to its customers. To learn more about the job click here to view the video.
Tasks include but not limited to:
- Supervises and coordinates activities of train crew engaged in switching railroad cars within yard of railroad, industrial plant, or similar location to facilitate loading or unloading of cars or making up and breaking up of trains in a safe and efficient manner.
- Instills a culture of safety by reinforcing a “see, think, act” approach to completing daily tasks especially those that are routine by talking about risk assessment, asking question to generate thinking, monitoring employees performance and providing timely feedback.
- Conducts efficiency tests according to company practices to determine the effectiveness of training and to monitor rules compliance.
- Periodically rides trains to monitor the performance of engineers, conductors, and brakemen; responds to inquiries regarding policies, procedures and programs.
- Utilizes the knowledge of the collective agreements and company policy when managing and coaching employees, conducting investigations and recommending corrective action and responding to grievances.
- Conducts incident investigations; prepares associated reports for derailments, personal injury, etc.
- Responsible for customer interface and monitoring the quality of the service in accordance with the terms of all applicable contractual arrangements.
- Assists with railcar switching functions as required.
Find All Canadian National Railway Jobs Here; Canadian National Railway Job Application
- Irregular hours, including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Combination of office work and working outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions with heavy equipment.
- Travel for company business, at times without advance notice.
- Respond to unexpected or emergency situations.
- May be relocated if necessary.
- Grade 12 required or GED.
- Post Secondary training in logistics will be given preference.
- Valid Driver’s License is required.
- Industrial job experience that demonstrates progression of responsibility and complexity in a safety compliant environment.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Work in a regulatory/safety environment.
- Work independently and to take initiative to find solutions when they are not readily on hand.
- Multi-task and prioritize items using sound decision making processes.
- Be forward thinking, to anticipate and put into place contingency plans in place.
- Communicate respectfully, clearly and thoughtfully.
- Speak, write and listen effectively.
- Work shifts; work outdoors in all weather conditions; lift 50lbs; stand and walk on uneven ground for long periods of time.
How to Apply for Canadian National Railway Conductor Jobs;